As people become more conscious about climate change and environmental sustainability, the demand for eco-conscious solutions has increased. Homeowners who are considering adding solar energy to their homes will not only save on electricity bills but also contribute to reducing their carbon footprint. In honor of Earth Day, we’ve compiled a list of 10 sustainable tips for homeowners, with solar being a great way to positively impact the planet.
1) Install a solar energy system: One of the best ways homeowners can contribute to reducing carbon emissions is by installing a solar energy system. Solar panels power homes with zero pollution and save homeowners money, resulting in a win-win for both the environment and the pocketbook. As a SunPower certified installation company, CM Solar Electric can provide you with a customized solar solution that fits your energy needs. Plus, you get to save each month on your electricity bill! Calculate your savings today.
2) Switch to LED light bulbs: LED light bulbs consume less energy and last longer than standard bulbs. Replacing old bulbs with LED’s will save you money on energy bills and reduce your carbon footprint.
3) Use low-flow water fixtures: Installing low-flow showerheads and faucets can help to conserve water, a precious resource that is often taken for granted. By using low-flow fixtures, you can reduce your household’s water consumption, which can help lower your bills while conserving resources.
4) Plant a vegetable garden: Growing your fruits and vegetables in your garden can be a fun and healthy activity that reduces your carbon footprint. By consuming locally grown products, you can reduce the transportation emissions associated with the food supply chain.
5) Use reusable water bottles: Ditch single-use plastics and use a reusable water bottle instead. By doing so, you can significantly reduce the amount of waste being generated.
6) Opt for Energy Star appliances: Energy Star appliances consume less electricity and are great for saving money on energy bills. Switching to energy-efficient appliances will reduce your carbon footprint and help mitigate climate change.
7) Invest in Electric Vehicles (EVs): Investing in a zero-emissions electric vehicle can drastically reduce your carbon footprint. EVs are becoming more popular, and many car companies are producing models that are affordable and accessible for everyday drivers.
8) Compost kitchen waste: Composting food scraps and garden waste is an excellent way to reduce waste and create a natural fertilizer. By composting, you can reduce the amount of methane gas and other greenhouse gasses emitted by the garbage that ends up in landfills.
9) Use natural lighting: Instead of relying on electricity to light up your home during the day, embrace natural lighting. Open your shades and curtains to bring in as much natural daylight as possible, which can improve your overall well-being while reducing your energy consumption.
10) Financial incentives: Many government initiatives offer tax credits for homeowners who invest in renewable energy solutions, such as solar. By taking advantage of such incentives, you can save thousands of dollars on your energy bills. Consider installing a SunPower Equinox solar plus SunPower SunVault Storage for maximum savings.
Making small changes in our daily lives can have a significant impact on the environment, and adding solar energy to our homes is one of the most eco-conscious decisions we can make. By partnering with CM Solar Electric, homeowners get the advantage of a trusted, SunPower certified company who have a track record of success in helping homeowners reduce their carbon footprint while saving on energy bills. Hopefully, this list of 10 sustainable tips will encourage you to make choices that will positively impact the planet and the generations to come. For more information on adding Solar or Battery Storage to your home, contact one of our Energy Advocates today.